A graduate student contacted me with questions about career paths for those of us in HF with an aging background. This sounded like a great opportunity for discussion so I’m posting it here. If you can contribute responses to any or all of these questions, please leave a comment!
I am giving a presentation on the Aging Technical Group [of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society] in my Human Factors Professional Issues course and the focus is on potential career options in this area. I am gathering information from past ATG newsletters and publications within HFES Proceedings in recent years.
I am emailing you to ask if you could provide any additional career-related information. Some questions that I thought might be relevant are listed below.
- What are the most common areas of research within human factors in aging?
- What are some of the largest changes in research trends within this area?
- What are the most common types of careers that individuals working in aging within the realm of human factors typically hold?
- What are some unexpected places that one may find hf aging professionals employed?
- Is there anything in particular that sets careers in aging apart from working within other areas of hf?
- Any other information you can provide about careers in this area
Also, if you could provide any additional suggestions for resources where I might find more information (other than what I listed above), I would very much appreciate it.